Sunday, February 12, 2012

Season Extension?

Today, I started my gardening.  Conventional wisdom dictates that I am way too early, even with the updated hardiness zone maps.  Perhaps I am, but it didn't stop me.  I guess I actually started a couple of weeks ago. 

Our indigenous ancestors here in the US, Europe, Africa, or wherever, lived where the food was.  Here in Maine, migrated with the seasons.  They live at the sea in the summer where shellfish were plentiful.  They lived further inland where large game animals herded together for the winter.  They frequented the shores of the rivers when the fish were spawning.  Perhaps, they too carried their food with them.  I am attempting a similar tactic - growing some food in our living space.  This is not really a first for us, we've grown jalapenos in the back window and Wendy is currently growing herbs, beet greens, and arugula in front of the back, south facing door and windows.

Three weeks ago, I attended a mushroom workshop with Gar, my mother.  At the workshop, we "seeded", inoculated really, bags of straw with blue oyster mushrooms.  We were told to let them sit in a cool dark place for a couple of weeks and then put them in an open sunny place to fruit.  It has been my intent to try and hang the bag in the window at the appropriate time.  Of course, this evening I did not have the correct things with which to accomplish the task.  As I was thinking and looking, Wendy and the girls were talking about competition tripods to hang costumes.  Perhaps their discussion planted its own seed in my brain.  I gathered some beaver sticks and a garden stake and a piece of barn rope to fashion a tripod.  I have made this type of thing before to hang pots over the fire in the front yard.  So, here is a picture of the bag and the finished product with the bag hanging.


The challenge, I find, in all of this is not necessarily how to go about solving the problems, but more about taking the time to find simple solutions to the tasks at hand.  My mind is quick to jump to modern technology when simple, handy solutions can more easily provide workable answers.  Ah, yet another lesson has been given on my amazing travels down this MooseBoots path.

Reminder:  Don't forget to enter for both of the give-aways if you haven't yet. 
The Maple Syrup Starter Kit (sorry, US addresses only), donated by TapMyTrees.com will be drawn on Tuesday, Valentine's Day, February 14th. 
The "Field Guide To Medicinal Plants", written by Wendy's Aunt Connie and Uncle Arnold Krochmal, will be drawn on Leap Day, February 29th.

6 comments:

  1. "The challenge, I find, in all of this is not necessarily how to go about solving the problems, but more about taking the time to find simple solutions to the tasks at hand."

    Well said! We are so often bombarded with "stuff" that it's harder sometimes to puzzle out what can just work from what is on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the Kiss principle always works best: "Keep it simple, silly"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melonie, thank you. It seems so obvious, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, you would think that, as an engineer, I would keep this foremost in my mind. I guess sometimes I need a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As an "engineer", I think it's part of your nature to look for the "high tech" solution - which isn't always the simplest, right? :).

    By the way, I think your tripod is pretty keen, and frankly, it's probably a much better solution than screwing a hook into the ceiling, like we were planning to do. At least this way, there aren't any holes in the ceiling ;).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, don't go look at the ceiling near the window. ;) I like the tripod, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on MooseBoots.

If you have not, please follow this blog by clicking the "Follow" button.